Shooting for a Leadership Position in 2018? Try these tips to help get you there.
Climbing the corporate ladder and landing a senior leadership role can take years. Start advancing your career now by positioning yourself as a leader.
- Continue to cultivate your Personal Brand. Make sure that you have developed a reputation for doing this right the first time, before deadline, and under budget.
- Read/listen to something every day. Read books or listen to podcasts that will help you learn more about the industry that you are in. Learn more about topics that interest you. The more you learn, the easier it will be for you to give input and engage in meaningful discussions.
- Give and receive feedback. Feedback is a gift and you should thank people for providing it to you. Take every step to learn and grow from the gifts you’re given. On the other hand, offer feedback to others so that you can have a part in their professional growth.
- Spend your break time wisely. During breaks between meetings spend time looking up industry news. Use the tools that Google offers to sign up for notices for things that impact your industry and your organization. Imagine the impression you will make if you are the one to break the news about a new acquisition.
- Ask an expert. Tap into your network and see who you can talk to about developing your leadership skills and increasing your industry knowledge. If you have a colleague or someone in your network who has published a new book, talk to them about helping them out by promoting their book on your personal blog. You’ll get information, they get free publicity.
- Keep track of what you’ve done well. Start writing down your ideas and your accomplishments. When things are looking down you will be able to reflect on these wins. Keeping track of your ideas will help you start to develop a sense for which ideas take flight.
- Take charge. Raise your hand for assignments. Go above and beyond the call of duty whenever you can, do things that are outside of your job description even if they seem to be menial tasks. Pitch in and help wherever you can.
- Learn something new. If the company that you work for has training programs, sign up! Take advantage of tuition reimbursement if it is offered. Find inexpensive or free trainings that will benefit you. Look for deals on coupon sites like Groupon. Take advantage of all of the free training that the internet has to offer.
- Show up with a smile. Attitude is everything and kindness will carry you anywhere. Don’t join in gossip or badmouthing people. When you talk about your coworkers, make sure that you show that you care about them and wellbeing. Try to find fulfillment in your work, no matter what it is that you do.
- Do some job shadowing. Ask a high performing employee or a top leader can spend time with you. Flattery will get you everywhere! Let them know what you love about their style and ask them to help you with your development by allowing you to shadow them. You can help them with tasks or projects and learn from them at the same time.
- Give of yourself and your time. Make sure that you can be counted on to be a dependable member of the team. Be there for coworkers and colleagues who may be struggling so that you can be a mentor to them and pass along your expertise.
Use these tips to help become the kind of leader that YOU want to follow.
Hey there I am so happy I found your blog page, I really found you by error, while
I was browsing on Yahoo for something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say thank you for a marvelous
post and a all round interesting blog (I also love the theme/design),
I don’t have time to look over it all at the minute
but I have saved it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to
read much more, Please do keep up the excellent jo.